Although Solar Petroleum Ltd was incorporated in 1983, the original site and business was established in 1908 as the Kimberley Oil Co. and later became T.O. Kenny & Co.
The owner (Thomas Owen Kenny) was one of the first oil blenders in the North West of England. He owned patents to some specialised leather treatment oils, and developed customers including the local coal mine (the Bradford Colliery, Manchester).
Products included wire rope lubricants, anti-rust oils, black pitch varnish and Pickerings tanning oils. After the death of Mr Kenny, his long serving employees (Mr Rogers & Mr Titterton) acquired the business. They continued much as before, gradually adapting to new developments such as "detergent" engine oils for newly emerging motor oil market. Other products included hydraulic oils, cylinder oils, machine oils and eventually soluble cutting oils. In 1979 the business was purchased by James Devery, who had been long aquanted with T.O Kenny & Co as a customer from the Construction and Plant Hire industry.
Soon afterwards his son Noel (a graduate in material science) joined the company. He began to develop the business into a modern manufacturing facility with a wide range of products and is now the Managing Director. In 1991 Solar Petroleum Ltd relocated to its present manufacturing facility in Widnes.
The site is a purpose-built lubricants blending facility (capacity approx. 10 million litre/year) with 40 000 sq. ft warehouse space, 700 tnn liquid bulk storage, offices, laboratory and extensive loading/unloading facilities with substantial hard-standing areas. This location is within close proximity of the major road networks for the whole country. The company has developed its markets at home and abroad, and is a successful family business with a strong technical bias.
Website: Solar Petroleum Ltd