- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Posted: 30 Jan 2024
Cranleigh STEM is working with a leading provider of hydrogen fuel cell power systems to generate clean energy in support of the global energy transition.
Our clients' scalable systems provide off-grid, zero-emission power already being deployed for rapid electric vehicle charging and replacing diesel generators for temporary power applications.
They are working with global partners in the deployment of products for the Maritime, Ports, Data Centres and Rail industries, emphasising the central role of its technology in the decarbonisation of global industry.
The Company has entered an exciting growth phase and is scaling up its operational capacity to meet demand for our zero-emission systems. We are seeking an enthusiastic and industrious Development Engineer to help deliver the company's long-term success.
About the role
As a Development Engineer, you will work with a highly motivated, dynamic, and rapidly growing team of engineers working on building and testing prototypes for the next generation of clean energy solutions being developed at the company.
The role gives an excellent opportunity for a motivated candidate to innovate, expand their design skill and personal development and become a recognised leader in this exciting and growing field.
The role focuses on component specification and building relationships with suppliers. Component selection would be varied and include pumps, heat exchangers, valves, flow meters, pressure, and temperature instrumentation.
- Work in collaboration with the design and process engineering to design and build test rigs, reactors, scrubbers, gas processing units and prototype products.
- Be responsible for the specification and procurement of parts, pumps, and pipes from concept to prototype operating systems.
- Support teams to design, develop, build, and test prototype sub-assemblies that meet the fundamental engineering requirements.
- Specify instrumentation of test rigs and prototypes
- Ensure the quality of components meets specifications before assembly.
- Liaise with external test houses as and when required.
- Generation of risk assessments for test and development areas and rigs.
Skills and Experience
- Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (ideally 2:1 degree or better) with an appreciable level of industrial experience in research and development.
- Relevant experience in a Development Engineering Environment (or equivalent)
- Effective communicator; appropriate, concise, and accurate information in written and verbal formats.
- Practical Hands-on skills relating to prototyping, assembling, and testing.
- Understanding of physical failure methods and approaches to root cause analysis.
- Able to present findings to senior management for accurate and timely decision-making.
- Capable of progressing tasks autonomously with little direction.
- Comfortable multi-tasking, prioritising activities, and planning work effectively to ensure project deadlines are met.
- Knowledge of power system design, including motors, transmissions, and energy storage solutions.
- An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such as aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems.
- Appreciation of statistics, robust design and systems engineering techniques.
- Understanding of materials science and manufacturing processes.
- Capable of performing tolerance stack analysis on complex assemblies.
- Experience with design tools (calculations).
- Capable of performing hand calculations to provide initial design direction and confidence in simulation results.
Salary: £40,000 - £45,000 (DOE)
Benefits: 25 Days + Bank Holidays, Sick Pay, Pension, Life insurance scheme, Private medical expenses insurance scheme, Company's Share Option Scheme
Location: Cranleigh, Surrey
Role: Full-time, permanent
- Agency: Cranleigh Scientific
- Reference: 8932
- Closes: 27 Feb 2024
You must have the right to work in the UK. Learn more